Toxic shock syndrome
How shock develops
Toxins produced by streptococcus A and Staphylococcus aureus, the most pathogenic species of these microorganisms, cause shock. In general, these bacteria in many live in the environment and in the human body: on the skin, mucous membranes of the gastrointestinal tract – and do not bring much harm. But under favorable conditions, bacteria begin to multiply actively, causing such well-known diseases as angina or furunculosis. As a rule, the human immune system resists these pathogens quite successfully.
But sometimes, when the infection penetrates the bloodstream and releases toxic waste through its vital functions, the immune system responds with a strong reaction. This is toxic shock.
The development of the syndrome may be caused by:
previous infections (influenza, pneumonia, chickenpox, etc.);
wounds, even small ones;
using tampons during menstruation.
Depending on the pathogen, streptococcal and staphylococcal toxic shock are distinguished. The first five reasons are characteristic of streptococcal toxic shock, the last two – for staphylococcal.
How does toxic shock syndrome manifest itself?
The first sign of the syndrome is its suddenness and rapid development:
the temperature rises sharply, reaching 39 degrees;
pain in the throat, muscles, headache;
blood pressure drops, causing dizziness and fainting;
there may be a dullness of consciousness;
nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain;
redness and rash appear, often in the groin and in the armpits, in the mouth and nose;
if there is a wound, it starts to hurt a lot.
Later, these manifestations are joined by others:
eyes inflamed (blepharitis, conjunctivitis);
internal organs are affected;
skin necrosis develops
at the stage of recovery, the skin begins to peel off.
What threatens the syndrome
This condition is very dangerous, as it affects many organs. Its complications can be:
renal failure and kidney failure;
swelling of the brain
violations of acid-base balance (acidosis).
Treatment of toxic shock syndrome
Toxic shock syndrome without treatment may result in the death of the patient as a result of the development of complications. In severe form of the syndrome requires inpatient treatment. To destroy the infection, use antibiotics. At the same time apply remedies that relieve severe symptoms. Sometimes use immunoglobulins.
With the right treatment, recovery occurs within 2-3 weeks.